2/20/2011

Monday is blue sticky note day, to match the mood and sticky weather.

I hope I haven't deterred you by my boring title. But today is Monday, and I always appropriately bookmark my lessons with blue post-it notes on Monday (...pink for mardi, orange for mercredi, yellow for jeudi, and my favorite color, green, for vendredi!) Teaching has forced me to become much more type A than God originally created me to be. So, while there are too many cups, pens, and random food items on my desk to allow for anything else to be placed on top of it, at least I'm mastering the the art of rainbow organization with sticky notes. Anyone else glad that the fruits of the Spirit list wasn't "love, joy, peace, organization...."? Amen.

"Sticky"! What an excellent transition into my next awesome Monday topic. I have to write about the weather, because every time I call someone back home, each and every person asks "how's the weather there?" Well, I dropped out of Stats 201 at OSU in the Spring of '08, but I know enough to know that the probability is high that others of you readers are asking yourselves the same exact question. Well, here's what you need to know: a dehumidifier machine sucks up about a half gallon of water per day out of the tiny microcosm of an atmosphere that is my 9' x 11' bedroom, and each day I use enough hairspray to start a small-scale forest fire.You see, people of Asian ancestry, like most of the residents of Taipei, tend to have very coarse, straight hair, allowing them to resist the humiliation of looking like Albert Einstein in front of their classes of high school students. 85% of Caucasians* however, do not have this luxury in their genetic make-up, and forge it with John Freida hair products in a humid climate. And you know how when you get out of the shower, you're much warmer when you dry yourself off? Well, I'm sometimes freezing to death, even while clothed, because eeeeentsy-weeeeentsy water droplets are landing all over me at any given moment.

The frequent rain has also disabled me from taking any pictures, with the exception of my facebook profile picture, because I choose not to participate in tourist activities in inclement weather. No one enjoys looking at a photo with blurry dots all over it thanks to rain drops on the lens. This actually reminds me of my favorite video right now (which is also my cell phone ring tone) Julian Smith: Red Eye Flashes Twice. It's rather comical, especially for you photo-taking fiends. Anyhoo, I'll post some more photos of my surroundings within the next coming weeks as the weather improves. Whether or not I assimilate further into this culture and flash the peace sign with every flash of my camera is yet to be decided.



*This statistic is completely falsified and was not an actual homework problem in my Spring quarter Statistics 201 course at OSU and should therefore not be taken seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment